This is Dave, not Susan writing this blog. I know, I'd be disappointed too. This is my first post ever, I usually just like looking at the pictures. But anyways, I'm know that there are some of you that are not in the "family loop" and so I just wanted to update all of you on Optometry School. Unfortunately, I don't have any good news at this time. As some of you know, I retook the entrance exam back in November and I got a 300 on it. I improved my score on all but one subject and got 310 or 320 on four of the six subjects, but a low scores on Physics and Reading Comp. pulled the overall down to 300. I talked to the director of admissions here in Memphis and he said that they were pleased to see I did better on it, but that I still need at least a 320 to get in. Your entrance exam score is very important to SCO, more important than one's GPA, because they feel that how well you do on it is an indicator of how well you'll do on your boards.
It was understandably hard and frustrating when I found out about not getting in, but it's been a little over a month and I'm doing better. I know that other schools are an option. With my good GPA and 300 test score, I might have a chance of getting in elsewhere. BUT, I have not and will not be applying to other schools. I know that it sounds nuts, but we absolutely love it here and don't want to leave. I (and Susan) spent a lot of time fasting and praying about coming here, it wasn't a decision that we came to quickly. We really feel like this is where we should be and SCO is the school that I want to go to. We have been sooooooo blessed since coming here and have made so many friends. I strongly feel that everything happens for a reason and that God has a plan and path for all of us. I will be an Optometrist, it is just going to take a little bit more time and work to get there. It's not what I wanted or ever thought would happen, but that's life. I will do this process all over again next year and work another year with my brother Ryan. In a time when there are so many people losing jobs and going through very hard times, this set back is not the worst thing that could happen and I am very very grateful for all the good things that I do have in my life. Again, we are so very blessed and I truly have no reason to complain. So that is my schooling situation, I thank all of you for your love and support.
10 years ago
5 comments:
I had no idea you guys were trying to get into SCO! I'm sorry about having to go through the whole process again! I know it sucks as I filled out many applications for Kash. But it will work out and we are glad you guys are here! I miss seeing Caroline in Nursery - she was such a good singer and I miss her help in the songs!
HOW FRUSTRATING!!!! You already know that WE FEEL FOR YOU!! Way to keep your chin up and continuing to put one foot in front of the other. You CAN do it. It's totally about the Lord's timing. GOOD LUCK and thanks for the update.
i'm sure this is one of those things that in 5 years, or even 2, will make perfect sense why things happen the way they do. i admire your faith and we will continue to keep you in our prayers.
Thank you for letting us know. You are a wonderful family and we are so glad to have met you this year! The school will see how hard you are willing to work and perservere! That is better than ANY test score!
You really shoudl talk to Chris. He may have some tips on the process. Honestly, he has had his share of frustration in the process.
Post a Comment