Before we moved out here, David and I always talked about what we looked forward to when moving to a bigger city. (As long as we've been married we've lived in what we call "WalMart Towns")
Our list always included more shopping options, a zoo, museums, tourist attractions (in the hope that people might actually visit us!) and a professional athletic complex. Thus, when we moved, Dave wasted no time in buying some tickets to go see the Memphis Grizzlies play at FedEx Forum. Of course, we don't really go to see the Grizzlies - just the Lakers, Suns, and soon, the Cavaliers. We couldn't have guessed though, that Dave would have connections at work to get us free suite-box tickets to Memphis Tigers games also! So just in December, Dave has actually been to basketball games at FedEx Forum 4 times! He loves it!
I have been able to go to one Grizzlies game (vs. the Phoenix Suns) and one Memphis game. It is so fun! It is really cool to be able to see these amazing players that we always watch on TV in real life!
Yes, I felt like an AZ Wildcats traitor in my Memphis Tigers T-Shirt, but honestly the guilt melted away pretty quickly as I got swept up in the excitement of the crowd, and well, the box tickets come with free popcorn, soda, and hot wings! I'll say "Go Tigers" for free hot wings any day!
We've got tickets to another Suns game and hopefully this time Nash will actually be playing. (At least I got to see Shaq - holy cow, that's a big man) And tickets to a Cavalier's game (aka "the Lebron James Show") I'm actually pretty excited to see Lebron play. You see, I have watched an astonishing number of hours of SportsCenter on ESPN since I've married my wonderful husband, and I actually know a thing or two about sports now! And I think LeBron James is amazing. I think people will be talking about him in the future with the same respect people talk about Michael Jordan now. Dave got to see Kobe Bryant play, but I was home with a sick kid. Maybe next year.
... as I write this we're watching the first NFL playoff games of the season. Go Cardinals!!! I can't believe they won! We Arizonans no longer need to be embarassed of them! Now it's the Colts/Chargers game. Go Peyton!
I never ever ever ever thought I'd get into Pro sports. It's one of those things that my husband brought into our marriage, and you know what, I'm sort of glad. I think it's good for a couple to learn from one another and appreciate each others' interests. Besides, I've rubbed off on him too. He can sing along to the Les Miserables soundtrack with ease!
10 years ago
7 comments:
oh man JJ would be so jealous. There is a game this month that I think we are going to try to go see.
Sounds like a good trade off to me, I'd love to hear David sing along! Dad and I went to the U of A Weber State game and it was so fun. Glad you are where you can enjoy the more cultural(?) life. Love, Mom
Sorry guys, Peyton Manning just couldn't pull it off.... Tad
I finally got Jason interested in pro football when we got an HD big screen TV. He started off just enjoying the clear picture, but we're starting to convert family over to football. I still prefer college- and now in Texas- high school sports. These Texas kids have been playing since in diapers and are pretty incredible!
I love the picture of you two at the game, you both look great! Good to hear you're enjoying the fun things that a bigger town has to offer and I'm impressed with your sports knowledge/interests!
FUN! We LOVE going to pro sports games! They are so much fun!! My favorite part is the food. I'm jealous you guys got free food! That'd be awesome!!
Nice updates! I love your puppy once again! I called your home in AZ to see if you were down while we were there! To my disappointment you were not! I should have just looked at your blog!
Post a Comment