I came to a harsh reality recently.
My daughter watches too much TV.
I realized this after she broke the TV.
That's right, Caroline took a spray bottle to our TV (which has a DVD and VCR attached, so really, she took out all three at once!)
She must have sprayed it a lot because the stand it's on was soaked. She told us later she was trying to "clean the TV like Mommy" (awww) but Dave thinks she was trying to shoot the characters on TV. Regardless, it doesn't work.
So we brought down our little TV from upstairs and hooked the cable up to it and all is well, despite the fact that remote doesn't work on the little one (don't you hate having to get up to change the volume? Argg.)
But after a few days, I decided the TV was on too much anyway, so I proposed a "No TV Day" Now, this is a little embarrassing, seeing as I'm sure many of you have "no TV days" all the time, but for us it was a stretch, especially in the Winter. I'm afraid to admit that we've even been known to watch a Disney movie on Sunday (and of course, an occasional football game)
So the night before said day, Caroline and I sat down to write a list of things we could do in place of TV or movie watching.
Our list included Play-Doh, board games, baking, coloring, painting our nails and more.
Most mornings, Caroline wakes us up before we're ready to get out of bed. So we turn the TV on for her and sleep an extra half hour. I was nervous that the next morning she would wake us up and want to watch cartoons. But she actually said, "Mom, wake up! Let's play cause it's no TV day!"
We played Caroline's new favorite game: "Restaurant". It's so cute. She's the waitress, cook, and dishwasher all in one! I have wanted to buy Caroline a little kitchen for SO long! But they're really so expensive and I just could never justify it. A couple of weeks ago, Caroline and I went to take some old clothes and shoes to a consignment store and found this play kitchen! It was $15!!!!! I was SO excited! I was more excited than Caroline! It was pouring rain, and I hauled it out to the car and shoved it in! I think we've already gotten our $15 bucks worth of play time out of it!
Thank goodness that day the weather suddenly turned beautiful so we added "play outside" to our No TV list! This picture is a pretty good representation of what playing outside consists of: Sophie runs away, Archie chases Sophie, Caroline chases Archie and everyone gets some good exercise (everyone but Mom of course!)
On No TV Day, our kitchen turned into an Arts-N-Crafts studio! Caroline loves to cut paper with scissors and stickers are still a favorite, so this occupied her for quite a while!
So, all in all, No TV Day was a success and I've decided it will be a more frequent occasion. However, I did discover something about my daughter. Caroline is not very good about entertaining herself. It was very difficult to get any housework done, because she always wanted me to participate in whatever it was she was doing.
Any ideas on how to keep a toddler occupied so you can get stuff done without sitting them down in front of the TV?
10 years ago
12 comments:
you're so good. I don't think I could go a whole day without tv but, I need to. We watch lots of tv too! (and we turn cartoons on for Kason in the morning so we can get more sleep! haha) Now, did you guys turn the tv on when she was in bed?!?
As for toddler ideas ... I have no idea. I have the SAME problem. I can never get anything done without a toddler interruption every 5 minutes. Let me know if you get any good ideas!!
we could NO WAY do a day without TV. Lucy gets up way to early and JJ turns the TV on for her so I can get an extra 30 mins of sleep . And how in the world would I get a shower? Good Job for you guys for lasting a whole day. Good luck finding another way to keep her occupied!Let me know if you find out a good way.
She needs a playmate. I am thankful Saige and Savannah play well together and keep each other entertained. We have days like that and it is allot of work because they get bored with the activities after 10 minutes. I can't wait for this cold weather to leave, so we can play outside.
P.S. The kitchen is great!
I always wonder how Mom did it is Spain with six kids under 10 and no TV, VCR, Wii, computer, GameBoy, etc. The closest we came to no TV for a day was when Hurricane Ike took out our electricity for 12 hours. I guess it takes a natural disaster to tear us away from the Boob Tube. Sad, really.
Oh how I cannot wait to have a three year old! I can't believe she broke the tv!! You're no TV days sounds like a success to me- great job. I don't know how to get her to entertain herself, that seems like something kids do when you least expect it. I don't think I would survive without Super Why and Backyardigans at least once each day- I need some computer time! But I have noticed how much fun we can have when we don't let our activities be dictated by the tv schedule.
And I'm with Karen- HOW did your mom do it??!!
I think you'll find that most people depend on the tv as much (if not more so) than you so good job on your no-tv day! Looks like a fun time. I'm impressed by your great deal on the kitchen too.
As for independent playing, I don't have any suggestions either. I've been lucky that my kids do that a little on their own for limited time periods but I definitely still appreciate and use the tv a lot.
My last pregnancy I used the TV as a crutch. Now I have a hard time getting them away at times. Good job. Maybe we could set-up some playdates!
Hahahahaha! That cracks me up! I hope you figure out a good way to occupy her, I wish I had some good ideas for you!
How did we do it in Spain with no TV for 3 years? Well, we had no choice! Books, books, and more books, and the Saturday children's movie! Ah, such good memories, thanks for the reminder.
Yeah, I need to have a NO-TV day for Marv. He'd be in the corner crying if he couldn't watch The O'Reilly Factor. haha Livvy watches too much TV. She is hooked on Disney Channel. She was making her doll say, "Hi, I'm Dolly and you're watching Disney Channel." So, we need to have one of these days at our house. You're an inspiration to me!
Hey, if she took out your DVD player, we have one that you guys can have. Let me know if you want it!
Isn't it amazing what you can get done without the TV on?
Post a Comment