Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Snow White and the Four Elders

Today, a very special package came in the mail for Caroline from her Grandma Scott.
(I tried to upload the video of her opening the box, but it wouldn't work this time!) We opened it right before we had dinner with the missionaries.

IT WAS A SNOW WHITE COSTUME!!!!

Caroline was sooooo excited! (OK, so I was pretty excited too) She tried it on right away and it fit perfect! SHE LOVES IT! She didn't want to take it off!
Mom, you did a fantastic job. I know this dress will be used again and again in our home.


Well, after we had dinner, Caroline and the missionaries decided to use the packing peanuts that came in the package to have a snow fight in the kitchen.





Elders Taylor, Thomsen, Stuart, and Stone (and Caroline as Snow White)
Maybe it's because the Memphis area is mega-religious with huge churches on every corner or something, but ever since we moved here I've had an overwhelming feeling that I need to be more missionary minded. Religion is everywhere here. People are not afraid to tell others how they feel about church. I was able to go out with the Sister missionaries in our first ward here several times and I loved it! Now that we're in our own home we've had the Elders in our area over as much as we can. I was thinking that maybe it's because my brother served in this area on his mission 10 years or so ago. So, I feel a certain kinship to the missionaries that serve here. In a round about way it's as if I'm feeding my older brother when he was in their shoes! (is that strange?!) Anyway, it's always great to have the missionaries in our home. They remind us of what's important.
So, the next time the missionary meal sign-up gets passed around in your Relief Society, DO IT!
I promise they don't care how big your home is, or if your dishes don't match, or if all you can fix is pancakes made from a box!

8 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Susan, That is so sweet of you! Dave talks often about what a difficult area it was to serve in, but he has shared many great experiences of wonderful saints too. I admire you for feeding them- I only seem to glance at the calendar when it comes around (luckily we share Elders with another ward, so they never go hungry). You have inspired me though! :)
I am super jealous of that great dress. I saw it last week and hinted to grandma how much Jenna (translation- me) would love a dress like that. Caroline will surely get lots of use out of it.

Alicia said...

Those pictures are so awesome. I wonder if there's any way to give your blog url to the elders' mothers? I'm sure they would all love to see their boys in such a fun context.

We really need to have the missionaries over when we're up to it. That's so cool that you went out with the Sister Missionaries! Makes me want to try it. We don't have Sisters right now. But when we do, I'll go for it. You've inspired me.

Karen Scott Welker said...

The last area I served in was Booneville, MS. Don't worry if you've never heard of it. But it's right down the road from you, just north of Tupelo. So I can relate, as well. I hope the elders helped Caroline clean up her Mississippi snow. Grandma is sending Emily a Belle dress for Halloween and WDW (38 days!) I'll post a picture of my princesses when it comes. And yes, I think Jenna should be a princess too. Poor Grandma, too many grand-daughters!

Brooke said...

Too cute! I saw Caroline's dress before your mom sent it and it really did turn out great. We actually just fed the missionaries last week but we had not done it in a looong time before then. I can relate to what you said about family though, because I kept feeling like I was kind of feeding my brother who is out right now - and who always tells us to feed the missionaries in his emails to us.

Sherri Romney said...

How fun! I want a snow white dress now! Those are way fun pictures. ;)

Candace said...

CUTE, cute costume! What a treasure!

I, too, love having the missionaries over for dinner. They are (usually :P) SO fun and really do motivate you to spread the "good word"!

Joy said...

Caroline has to be the cutest Snow White I ever saw!

Kristine said...

We're supposed to feed the missionaries tomorrow...and I think I would have completely forgotten if it weren't for this post. (Thanks!)

Oh, and how nice to have Caroline's Halloween costume early so that she can play in it! It's lovely...and I love the pictures of the snow fight!