Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Invisible

If you spend a day with Caroline you'll inevitably hear her talking to or about some invisible people.
This isn't something I'm unfamiliar with - my little brother had a bunch of invisible friends, girlfriends, and pets and it used to crack us all up. I'm also told that my Dad had one imaginary friend he called "Click" that they even had to set a place for at the dinner table.

So maybe it's hereditary. But with Caroline they are not imaginary - they're just invisible. (Invisible makes her seem less like a loon and more like she has a super power: The power to see invisible people.)

One other major difference: they are not invisible friends - they're invisible siblings.
According to her (and she has stood by this for several months) she has 7 brothers: Joe, Kevin, Nick (yes, the Jonas Brothers names) and Scott, Smitty, Rich and Dave. (names from Imagination Movers)

Joe is her favorite and we hear about him rather often. (I also have a brother named Joe. He is not invisible.) Caroline's brother, Joe, accompanies us in the car wherever we go. He also usually plays the male role in any pretend games (the prince, the groom, the pirate)
Caroline has 2 invisible sisters: Brooke and Holly (names of two of her cousins in AZ) They usually attend the tea parties and fancy balls.

When I asked if I could take their pictures, she said sure!

with Brooke and Holly


with Joe (he's tall)

I think this whole thing is both awesome and a little sad. Maybe I need to arrange more play dates? It's usually pretty funny (and convenient that she's figured out a way to play "by herself") but sometimes, it's a little problematic. She has been known to blame things that go missing or broken on the invisible siblings.

11 comments:

Karen Scott Welker said...

Lucy had (has) "pretend" friends- usually animals. They would often do the bad things that Lucy would never do- like cut her hair. I let her know that her friends and animals are welcome at our house, as long as they obey our rules and that it is her job to make sure the pretend elephant/seal/platypus understands the rules. Otherwise, they can't come play anymore. They started being good guests then. But then, Lu became more rebellious. So, whatcha' gonna' do?

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Oh My! I just laughed out loud! How I love Caroline! Now if only some of her invisible friends were named Jenna and Adam, we'd be in business, but I'll try to move past that. Love LOVE Love the imagination- and LOVE the pictures even more.

Brooke said...

that made me laugh! I love the pictures that accompanied it too. I've heard about this "Joe" before :) I am impressed by the extent of her imagination and think it's definitely more awesome/funny/memorable than sad, even though I totally understand what you mean. Brandon has imaginary friends too - I have no idea where he got his name choices from and so far he hasn't "blamed" them for any troublemaking but we'll see what happens. It cracks me up

Sherri Romney said...

Susan I laughed so hard while reading your post! That is so dang cute. I had to read it to Jacob. :)

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

Riley and I laughed out loud at this post. You are so funny/clever the way you word things i love it. Caroline is so funny. I love the pictures with her sibling. We have imaginary zoo animals all over our house!

Lant Family said...

I think it must be totally normal , Lucy has pretend friends. Her's aren't brothers they are husbands and boyfriends who often take her on dates. we will have to have Caroline over to play sometime and maybe a few of her "brothers"

Adrian said...

Oh man!! I was dying laughing!!!! Caroline is by far one of the funniest kids I know! Sure wish you guys lived closer so we could play with Caroline and her invisible friends!

The Sullengers said...

Oh man, this is hilarious! So imaginative!

Kimberlee said...

We wish we could be there to play with Caroline for real, not invisible. We love you, Caroline.
Brooke and Holly

Luna said...

I LOVE the pictures of her with her siblings!

Joy said...

Kinda freaky and funny at the same time! Caroline is so funny. I love this age and what their imaginations come up with.