Monday, May 18, 2009

Quiet Time Victory!

As some of you may know, I've been having a difficult time with Caroline and nap time. A couple of months ago, she stopped napping and starting messing up her room when she was supposed to be sleeping. So we decided to throw in the towel and switch to "quiet time". I told her she could read books, do puzzles, or color but she had to stay in her room and be quiet, and most importantly, not make a mess!

She. Freaked. Out.

She threw fits when it was "quiet time" and it wasn't "quiet time" at all. I was getting SO frustrated.

So I decided to bribe.. uh, I mean use "incentives" and a chart.



I have always been a big believer in using charts for kids. I made a chart for Caroline when she potty trained and when she was having a hard time going to bed at night and they work great! For Caroline, it's a good visual reminder and I like that it highlights what she's doing right, instead of wrong.



So I decided to make a chart and if she would follow the quiet time rules for a week, she would get a new princess dress!



Ok, I confess. We were going to get her a new one anyway. Caroline has several dress-up dresses, but only one that hasn't been stained or fallen apart, and that's the Snow White dress Grandma made! The others were all hand-me-downs, so we decided to make her "earn" this next one!


And it worked!



Hooray! Caroline has been doing Quiet Time like a champ and has even taken a nap twice in the last week! Victory!





She has been SO excited to buy a new princess dress. She told every random stranger we met today that's what we were doing for family night tonight! She knew exactly what she wanted: Cinderella.



Naturally, we went to Target and they were out of Cinderella's dress!



So we had to go to Walmart and there it was!!!



Now we have one happy princess and a happy mommy who gets a break every day too!
Normally, I only use a chart once or twice to develop a habit, but when we were in the store, Caroline saw the matching crown she said, "and I get that next week!" UhOh.

12 comments:

Joy said...

charts and "incentives" are GREAT, but sometimes it is hard to break the habit. We used Thomas trains for Kevin's potty chart for the poops because they were so rare and dollar store cars for the pees until he got in the habit. We also used ice cream cones for the poops for a while too, and even still when he poops, he shouts out, "I get ice cream cone!". I just have to remind him that we dont do that anymore.

Our Ohana said...

I am BIG believer in charts!!! They work wonders with kiddos.

That is hilarious that she is already gearing up for the crown! HAHA!!! She's going to get a whole princess wardrobe out of ya! :D

Lant Family said...

Love Charts too! She is SO cute in the picture with the dress at the store, her eyes crack me up. I am going to love the day when I see her wearing one at church one week. I remember I always wanted to wear my dress up stuff to church. I am glad that you have had some quiet time yourself.

Karen Scott Welker said...

Awesome! Her face in Walmart, holding her dress- classic! That says it all.

Just an idea, I don't know if this will work for Caroline. I let Lucy "choose" when she has to do something undesirable. If I wanted her to have quiet time for 30 minutes, I would ask "Do you want quiet time to be 30 or 45 minutes long?" Of course, she would pick the lesser of two evils and I actually got what I wanted. "Do you want to eat 10 or 12 peas?" "Clean up 5 or 6 . . . ?" You get the idea. Then she feels like she has some power, but I really get what I want. Shhh. Don't tell her that.

Candace said...

Good idea!! I LOVE when positive reinforcement WORKS! And it usually does.

Brent & Paij Collins said...

Good job on the chart. You do what it takes and if it works, you use it. I'm glad it worked.

The Sullengers said...

I think charts are amazing! I make lists all the time because I get such pleasure out of marking them off when I've accomplished them - which is basically the same thing as a chart. I hope it continues to work!

Hilary Stailey said...

What a great idea! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely use this in the future! And Caroline makes a great princess!

Adrian said...

"Be the crown, wear the crown, you ARE the crown!" (name that movie!) Caroline definitely NEEDS that crown! I love reading your blog and love the comments other people write. I learn so much! I'll have to remember all these tips! You are the cutest little mom EVER!

Btw, we LOVE the socks! We have yet to go some place where someone doesn't comment on them! Hayley literally wears them everyday. They are starting to get a little small. It makes me kind of sad...

Laurie said...

Susan- This is a great idea I may borrow the idea and tailor it for my dear son who has decided to be very difficult lately!

Alayna said...

The dress was well worth it...way to go Caroline! I agree with Caroline...the crown is definatley necessary to complete the ensemble!

Margaret Pratt said...

Cool idea Susan! So happy for you and your victory! Being a mom takes a lot of creativity and fortitude!