Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pink Palace Museum...finally

It seems like most people I know are having exciting experiences and changes to their lives right now. I feel dumb anytime someone asks, "So, what's new with you guys?!" Ummm... nothing. Really. So I feel like I talk about (and blog) the same old trivial day-to-day happenings, but that's our lives and we like it! (we can't all move to Singapore:) So here's a little blurb about something fun we did this week!

We've lived here almost a year now, and just made our first trip to the Pink Palace Museum on Memorial Day! I thought that it was going to be mostly a museum about Memphis, displaying local stuff only, but it's really much more than that - we were impressed!

If you don't know what the Pink Palace is, here's a quick explanation (if you do, skip it!) The man who invented the modern grocery store concept with the Piggly Wiggly was very famous and rich. He started building a huge mansion made of pink granite. Before it was completed, he went bankrupt. The home and land was donated to the city to use as a museum and there you have it!

The humongous mansion is only part of the museum. It's since been expanded and includes an IMAX theater and a planetarium!
My favorite part was the old-fashioned grocery store. I loved looking through the shelves and seeing the old products and packaging.
They have a lot of taxidermy animals, fossils, bones, and historic displays.
Caroline's favorite part of the historic displays were the old pageantry clothes! Very fancy and sparkly!
And yes, they have dinosaurs!
We'll go back sometime and check out the planetarium. I love that there's so many things to do here! When we have a free Saturday or something and we're trying to figure out what to do, there's always places to go and things to see. After living in smaller towns that have 2 or 3 attractions, this is such an exciting change!
On our list of places to go is: The Children's Museum, The Art museum, The planetarium,a Memphis Redbirds game, and the Botanical Gardens. But I add something new to the list any time I hear about something else!

10 comments:

Pierce Family said...

We went to the Pink Palace on Memorial Day too!!! Too bad we didn't see you guys there- we could have toured it together.

Adrian said...

I think you do really fun stuff! And even if its not new and exciting, I love the every day adventures with Caroline! Besides there's a lot more you can do with a 3 year old compared to a 4 month old! Love you guys! Can't wait to see you next month!

Brent & Paij Collins said...

I glad you had fun. I would wait on the botanical gardens for now. We went last week and maybe saw three flowers on the whole tour. So maybe it will be better in the fall and definitely better in the spring.

The Sullengers said...

I signed up for that free trial so I will have to check it out. Also, you should add the grotto to your list. It is up on Poplar in a cemetery. There is a garden area and then a little cave with crystals and depictions of Christ. It is interesting. Anyway, we love the redbirds - so let us know when you go and we'll join you!

Brooke said...

looks like you are really seeing some neat stuff out there!

JR and Steph said...

I feel the same way, not much happens around this house with two little kids. That is a cool place. I have never even heard about it before. We need something like that here in little Thatcher.

Garet and Amanda said...

wow that place is big! I am jealous you have so many cool places to go look at and you are taking advantage of it. Garet and I probably didn't do enough of that in Dallas and now...there isn't much to go see. have any ideas?....oh and when are you comming here next month. I would love to see you and Caroline!

Joy said...

I don't know what you're talking about.. you always do fun stuff!

Luna said...

Caroline will love the Children's Museum. It is lots of fun.

Karen Scott Welker said...

Don't be jealous of the crazy chaos that is my life right now! There's nothing wrong with being a good wife and mom and life staying status quo.