Sunday, December 21, 2008

Remember when I did that dumb thing? Well, I'm sorry.


Caroline has been cracking us up with her funny way of making amends. Lately she has been randomly apologizing for past transgressions...only she does it a little late. For example, we were driving to church today and Dave and I were discussing the lessons we had to give and Caroline said sweetly and out of the blue, "Dad, I'm sorry I cry when I go to bed." We just looked at each other and smiled and said, "That's ok sweetheart" because she's been doing this A LOT lately! (not crying at bedtime, but saying sorry) Sometimes it will be days after whatever happened! And it's so sweet when she does it! One day, Caroline and I ate lunch at Chik-fil-A and I had to keep telling her to sit down to eat and she kept jumping up with food in her hands and running around. Well, she ending up spilling a glass of milk on a man's foot! I felt horrible and apologized profusely and told Caroline we weren't going out to eat if she couldn't sit until she was finished. She, of course, cried on the way home and the incident was forgotten until a couple days later when she said before naptime, "Mom, I'm sorry I spilled the milk on that guy" I had to think a minute about what she was talking about! It reminds me that she's getting older and has a better memory. So I guess there's no point in me telling her "go to your room and think about what you did" Apparently, she does!

8 comments:

John, Jen and Evan said...

So cute! You must be doing it right, that whole parenting thing. I'm adding you guys to our blog so I can keep up on all the cute things she says!

Karen Scott Welker said...

(We love Chik-fil-A! Just had to add that) Caroline reminds me of you. When you were little we used to be able to make you stop crying by holding up a camera like we were going to take your picture. You would mug for us and then forget you were unhappy. Such a good sister!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

(We also LOVE Chik-fil-A!) How funny is that girl of your?! I think it's great that she is learning to apologize- even if it is late. Oh, I wish we were able to spend more time with her :), and you and dave too.

Sherri Romney said...

That is the sweetest thing I have EVER heard! What a cute sweet girl!

Joy said...

Reading that made me laugh! I love it when kids get old enough to talk!

Chandra said...

Caroline is such a sweet girl! Merry Christmas...
thejeppsonfam.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

she is such a doll. How sweet is that that she remembers those things. Hope you had a wonderful christmas

Luna said...

A preschoolers mind is amazing! Now you have to be REALLY careful what you say. Her Sunbeam teacher is going to have plenty of stories for you!