We've been here for a week now! Wow, what do I say? Where do I begin?
Ok, the Journey:
I was sooo scared that our stuff wouldn't fit in the trailer and our car, but Dave worked his magic and it barely fit! Special thanks to our neighbors who helped us move and clean! We appreciate it! It took us two days to get here. We spent Saturday night in Abeline,TX. But not after some serious rain! I'm not talking the "oh man, it's raining" rain. I mean the "Oh my gosh, I can't see" rain. Of course, I was driving at this point! The rain was so heavy that I literally could not see the lines on the road, only the faint lights of the trailer in front of me. We were praying the whole way. I was more scared for Joleen who was pulling the trailer behind her SUV than anything. Wow, that gets me all shook up just think about it again!
But we made it safe without any other incidents.
Now, our New Home:
Jeff and Joleen and their 3 daughters (ages 7,9, and 11) live in Germantown, TN which is southeast of Memphis (it's like the distance between Mesa and Phoenix) Germantown is so beautiful! Gorgeous homes and trees everywhere! I love this area! Unfortunately, Dave and I could never afford to live here! But it's fun just to go for walks and look at all the cool houses!We are so thankful that Jeff and Joleen have let us stay here for a while. They are so generous. We have a large bedroom that even fits our couches and TV, our own bathroom, and a huge storage closet. Caroline shares a room with her cousin, Jessica who is 9. Considering we're living in someone else's house with another family, it's a pretty nice set-up!
OK, the City:
Yes, the South is humid. But honestly, (and maybe it's just been a good week) it hasn't been that bad! I think I prefer it to the 100+ temperatures I'm used to!
The traffic isn't bad at all. I've driven on the freeway several times, but so far, I've never had to slow down for traffic which is good. I have gotten lost twice, but thankfully, Jeff is just a cell-phone call away and he knows the city like none other!
Last night, I counted over a dozen mosquito bites on my legs. They LOVE me and they are everywhere!!!
But, there's also fireflies everywhere too! It's fun to go out at night and chase them. The neighbors think it's funny that we're so fascinated by them! They really are cool! They fly so slowly and they only light up for a second. So it's like seeing neon blinking lights floating in the air!
How I Feel about being here:
VERY mixed. Sometimes, I think I love it, other times I feel lonely and nervous and frustrated and antsy. I didn't feel too homesick until I saw everyone else's 4th of July celebration pictures! Now I miss my friends and family! So send me an email or something!
9 comments:
Sue, I've been awaiting this post about how you guys have settled and how you're feeling. I think it's GREAT that you guys have taken the plunge and moved out there and I'm sure you're going to have many wonderful experiences. I was missing you on the 4th though...
i'm sorry the pictures made you sad- it was a great day, but you guys were truly missed- holly and brooke kept calling jenna caroline, which i thought was sweet. i am a little jealous of your 'adventure'. i have always wanted to move away from arizona... you guys seem blessed with great family there too. and enjoy the fireflies!
I know how you feel about being so far from home and family, it is hard but it does get easier. I wish I could move away from this heat. I bet it is so beautiful over there.
Susan, I can relate with your mixed feelings 100%!!! That's why I'm TRYING to keep busy! BUT, lately "keeping busy" has meant...lets-go-to-such-and-such-store-and-buy-this...not so good on the piggy bank!! :S There are just so many stores at my fingertips I'm going a little shopping happy! :)
GORGEOUS HOUSE!!! It's totally what you picture when it comes to the South! I love it! AND I LOVE fireflies! I'm so jealous! That's one thing I miss about living out there. And I can't imagine how you're feeling about being so faraway. I don't think I would be able to handle it AT ALL!! Thanks for posting on how you're doing - I've been wondering!!
I like the new place! Well don't feel to lonely, we didn't do anything exciting for the fourth either! I guess we couldn't do too much with a 3 day old baby!
Harrison took one look at your house and said "That's bigger than all the apartments together!" It is a beautiful house. Just don't forget about us!!!!
Susan... this is Holly Sowards (Llewellyn now) HOw are you? Crazy how I found your blog...check us out llewellyns.blogspot.com
I am glad that you made it there safely. Like Candace I can relate to your mixed feelings. Soon you will get used to the way life is out there and enjoy it. You'll always miss family and friends here but the time out there will go by so FAST...then you'll have mixed feelings about being back home. I am excited for you guys. You guys are going to have a fun little adventure. Just remember to come back! oh I am jealous about the fireflies. I have always wanted to catch some. It sounds fun.
Post a Comment