Friday, March 6, 2009

First Day of "School" !

Caroline had her first day of "Thursday School" this week!



Thursday School is a free preschool program at a big Baptist church here. Several other kids in our ward go to it and their Mom's gave it high recommendations, so I thought we'd try it out! It's just one day a week for two and a half hours, which I think is just perfect for her (and me!) It gives her an oppurtunity to be with other kids and learn in a school-like setting, without her being gone all day every day! We've been looking forward to this since November when we signed up!


Caroline said she had a great time. Her teachers are just so nice and sweet and seem to take genuine interest in each child individually, which is so important to me.
She was the first one in her class to arrive and sat down to do puzzles and automatically said, "Mom! Come do this puzzle with me!" But after a few minutes with one of her teachers she said, "Mom, go now. I'm staying here, but you go." :)
I love being a stay-at-home Mom, but I think there are just some things that a kid doesn't learn at home with mom, like waiting your turn in a line or raising your hand to speak and such. It's strange though to think that she's having experiences with me!

Did you notice she's wearing a different shirt in the pictures? Of course, it wouldn't be a special day without spilling a cup of milk on your shirt and racing to change before getting out the door, now would it?!

6 comments:

Lant Family said...

Love it! Which church is it and what are the age requirements? Do they have to be 3? Maybe next fall this would be a perfect thing for lucy! She is very cute in her 2 outfits :)

Heather (wife, mom) said...

My first thought was about the two different shirts! Thanks for explaining...
What fun- I love the idea of preschool for kids her age. My sister actually has done it out of her home for the last couple years for her daughter and other kids in the ward. It's intriguing to me with Jenna and Ella already here- so we'll have to see if I can handle it come next spring. Keep us posted on all the fun things she is doing. :)

Kristine said...

I think that is the perfect chance for both of you! I love that she was ready for you to go too...they grow up SOO fast!

Wheatley Family said...

My mom is taking the kids. Gotta love having Grandma close. Could Joleen take Caroline?

It would be SOO cool if you went!! Celeste Rice from our ward is going too!!

Alicia said...

That looks like a lot of fun! And fun for you too.

I love the ribbon in her hair. She is one cute girl.

heather said...

How awesome.I think it is important to have time away from their mom. Talyse goes to Marla's and even though she already knows the stuff they learn there it has been good for her to be away from me as well as the twins. Caroline is getting sooo big.