The day before Easter we headed up to Memphis for some fun.
We love going to Bass Pro Shop to look at the fish and animals and they often have kid crafts and activities on Saturdays. They had an egg hunt and pictures with the Easter bunny this time. Gotta love free activities!
We also went to the Gem and Mineral show and had fun walking around looking at all the beautiful displays. They had a little dig for kids. For a quarter they got to dig in the sand for 3 minutes and keep all the rocks, gems, minerals, and fossils they could find. Caroline loved it, did it twice, and got some cool stuff! They also had a station where kids could make pet rocks which I thought was pretty funny!
Dying Easter Eggs for family home evening.
Miles on Easter.
Easter Sunday was pretty low-key on purpose. Dave says worldly Easter traditions (the bunny, candy, baskets, etc) kind of bother him and I have to agree. Obviously we let Caroline participate in these things because they are fun and we enjoy them as family activities, but we decided to do them earlier in the week rather than on Sunday. Easter celebrates truly the single most important event in the history of the world, and eggs and bunnies and new clothes have nothing to do with it. At least with Christmas there are songs and giving and traditions that actually remind us of the true reason we celebrate it. But with Easter it seems that the world has it all wrong. So we decided to start a tradition. Each year on Easter we watch "The Lamb of God" and have a family testimony meeting. We skipped a part of the movie for Caroline because we thought it would be too intense, but still it was a great experience and Caroline really learned a lot from it. The next day for FHE, she said she wanted to give the lesson and she retold the whole Easter story. I was surprised by how much she understood and absorbed.
2 comments:
Way to remember the real meaning on Easter. It's great to start your own family traditions too.
I agree, we typically just do an Easter egg hunt but skip all the other stuff. Usually I tell the kids the Easter bunny hid the eggs but didn't even do that this year. I thought it would be nice to have one holiday that could be more spiritual than just about the candy or the gifts. I also don't do new dresses/outfits for Easter either. I hate feeling "obligated" to buy things just because its a holiday.
Post a Comment