Monday, October 25, 2010

Camping

I really should be working on one of my many projects/assignments that need to be done this busy, busy week, but I wanted to share about our camping trip! We had a lot of fun and we kept saying, "We should have done this a long time ago!"

Caroline has been asking to go camping for a while now and we've been waiting for good weather since we don't have cool mountains to escape to in the area. So we went to Lake Arkabutla which was just about a 30 minute drive and it was so nice not to have to get car-sick on winding mountain roads to get there!


The lake has some sandy "beaches" that were pretty and fun to play in. The sand is not like playground sand - it is so soft!


Can't go camping without roasting marshmallos! The campsites were really nice - they cater to RVs, so each site had electricity (which we didn't use) and a water spicket (which we used a lot!) They even had a really nice playground to play at!


We had a great view right from our campsite. Sunset was beautiful.



We skipped stones on the lake - I was very impressed with Dave's stone-skipping skills!
It was great to feel so removed from "city-life" and still be so close. I've only ever camped on mountains, so it was different, but really fun to be so near to a pretty lake. It got cool enough for hot chocolate, but we weren't freezing all night.
I forgot how much work camping is (prep, packing, setting up camp, cooking, cleaning up, post-laundry, etc) But this time it was totally worth it and I'm glad we were able to go before I got too "heavy with child" or had a newborn to bring!

4 comments:

Jim said...

Glad you had a good time. Beautiful pictures, loved the sunset, but my granddaughter has the best pictures! Mom

Lant Family said...

Your camping trip looks like a blast! Makes me wish we would have found time to go --we skipped out and did it in the backyard. Maybe next semester things wont be so busy. Your sunset picture is so pretty. The water must be low at the lake if the beaches are back.

Collins said...

Looks like a fun trip. I'm glad you guys got to go and that the weather cooperated. Good luck with your busy week.

Mayhem no longer said...

Yea! You take beautiful pictures (of course, it helps that the people in them are picturesque, too)!