Ok, so I've been so curious and I decided just to buy them and try them. (you know you've been wondering too)
Since we have a small family, I always seem to being throwing produce away that goes bad before we can eat all of it. So I figured that if they really worked, it would save us money. And the verdict is...
They Work! ... I think.
I even conducted my own field test.
The bell pepper on the left was stored in the bag from the store's produce section.
The peppers on the right were stored in a Debbie Meyer's Green Bag.
(Yes Mom, I wasted food for this experiment. Remind you of a science fair project I did? :)
I was very pleased with this result. It also helped with my tomatoes
HOWEVER!
The bags did NOT help with my green leafy stuff!
I put iceberg lettuce, romaine, and baby spinach leaves each in their own green bag, but I don't think they spoiled any slower than normal. I'm thinking that this could be due to the fact that they weren't completely dry when I put them in. They were mostly dry, but not completely like the box says (how do you get iceburg lettuce completely dry after it's been washed?)
So, overall I think they work. I still want to try them on bananas.
Also, notice the lovely blog award on my sidebar. Yes, thank you - hold your applause. I now bestow the coveted award to:
* Karen Welker - because she just started blogging and I'm stoked about it. My sister is an awesome writer!
* Heather Scott - because she posts frequently, which I love, and well, honestly she has one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that because she's my niece. And I know cute little girls!!!!!

11 comments:
Thanks for doing the experiment for the rest of us. Now we don't have to waist food. Your mom should be proud. In Kroger and walmart they have the green bags for free.
I've ALWAYS wondered if they worked!!! Let me know when you try them on banana's ... that's the fruit I throw out most often!
Wow! I am so honored, and I am glad that you love Jenna too :) I post so often because I am always checking my google reader account, and thinking, "why hasn't anyone posted anything new since I last checked 25 minutes ago?" I have a problem.
Thanks for the product review. I too love having fresh produce but can new eat it all before it spoils. I just might have to get some the next time I go to the store- which (because I know you are wondering) will probably be before weeks end and I just went today (at least twice a week).
Oohh!! I totally forgot about those! My mom uses them and had great results too. She did use them on her bananas and they did the trick! I'm buying um' next time I'm at the store! (Oh wait...I'm there pretty much everyday...sometimes the only way for my to get out of the house. :)
I always wonder if those work too! Maybe I'll try them someday. Most of my produce seems to last fairly long anyway, I usually take them out of the baggies and put them in the crisper. For lettuce (not iceberg), I wash it and put it in a ziploc with a paper towel and it lasts quite a while. Iceberg always seems to brown quick for me....
We use those and they are awesome. They do work on the bananas, but we seem to eat those pretty fast. I love them, less food is wasted. How did we survive before using them?
What's the deal with throwing out bananas? They aren't fully ripe unless they have brown spots on them (according to Alton Brown). If they look yucky, I just peel them first and then put them on my kids plates and they still eat them. If they completely balk, I put them in the freezer (with peels on) and use them in banana bread or smoothies.
Oh, and thanks for the award. I feel so honored. I guess I better post something so I feel like I've earned it.
Sue, I've tried those bags too and I think they do help. I just need to be more consistent with actually using them. Good to hear your opinion, I know your mom thinks they work too
Thanks for the review! We too always have produce go bad. I've been tempted to buy these, but skeptical. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store.
I never worried much about if they worked or not...but you could spice up the picture if you had my grandchild holding a bag or something. Pictures of Caroline are always better than pictures of holes in a wall and of veggie bags.
Hey! Jake and I found your blog last night thanks to Garet and Amanda. Your advertising worked on this girl, that stuff is pretty neat. Well anyway, just wanted to say hi. Caroline is precious! Love the funny sleeping positions!
Sher
Post a Comment