I've heard the question, "so what do you do with yourself, now that you're not babysitting and Caroline goes to preschool?"
I've always been a little sensitive about this, I feel like I constantly have to justify to myself and others how I spend my time since I only have one child. But honestly, having Caroline in preschool a few mornings each week hasn't really changed how I spend my time at all. We didn't put her in preschool so that I could have more time, but so that her time was better spent. For example, I drop off Caroline, go grocery shopping, come home and put things away, do some laundry, clean a bathroom, etc. and go pick her up. Those are all things I would've done with her home anyway, but instead of her sitting in front of the TV or playing Barbies by herself while I get stuff done, she is playing with other kids, learning, doing crafts, and gaining social experience.
BUT the last month or so without having extra kids, I have found more time to do some projects around the house I've been wanting to do, and it feels great to cross some things off my list!
1. Going through all of Caroline's old clothes.
We had boxes and boxes in storage of all of Caroline's old clothes. I told Dave that if our baby is a boy we would go through all of the girl clothes and condense it down to 2 boxes of favorites. (The clothes are 5 years old already as it is and IF we have another baby and IF it's a girl, it probably won't be for a few more years and let's face it, onesies don't last forever)
So THIS:
Got paired down to THIS:
Hooray for more storage space!
2. We didn't have a dresser or a changing table for our little guy, but we did have this ugly thing:
Which we turned into THIS:
Voila'! Problem solved.
3. I had ugly throw pillows. That's a problem.
So I made covers for them that look like THIS:
They bring a little more color in the room. And I like that they are slipcovers, so i can take them off and wash them!
4. We wanted our 3rd bedroom to go from storage room to Guest/Baby's room. (I don't have a before picture. It would've been embarassing anyway) So we cleaned it out, bought a little guest bed, and I made curtains and a crib skirt. It's still not finished; I need to get bedding for the guest bed and put something up on the walls.
11 comments:
Yeah for nesting! I wish I could say I have been that productive but I have not. Your 3rd room looks great. I remember what it used to look like. Also, I wish I could be the recipient of some of your old clothes but I'm sure you have plenty of people to use them around you.
Long distance high-five! Looks awesome! I try to do the same with baby/kids clothes, just saving the best of the best stuff and donating the rest. Love the pillows- I need to copy you and make covers that can be washed for mine. :)
I don't think you have to "justify" what you do with your time. It is your time and who cares if you go home and watch a movie and eat candy :) Lucy loves having Caroline in preschool with her. I am like you I find myself going about my day normally, just minus 1 kid which is easier to run errands. Way to go on all your fun projects. How nice to condense all your clothes into just favorites.
You go, girl. Maybe one day I could try out that guest bedroom of yours. I'll cross my fingers.
Nicely done! Yippee! I love your solution for a changing table and dresser. I am always trying to get creative for storage on the cheaper!
I am doing the same thing for our kids clothes; pairing WAY down... though, I am not sure I will make it that far down! way to go!
Man, I would just sit - you don't need to justify yourself to me :) but it is nice to get projects done - I always want to be working on something!
Awesome projects! I love the converted changing table and the nursery looks beautiful. You are so multi-talented!
Wow Susan! I love love love it all. Really. You did great with the changing table, the organizing, the slip covers, and the nursery. I love it!
You are a great home decorator! I really like that cubby thing re-done. You could use that thing forever! Also, I think your guest/baby room curtains and shirt are so cute, love the material. I bet it feels so nice to get things done.
I have so much little girls cloths too. I'm starting to thing that when I have another little girl there is a huge chance she won't be born in the same season and all that saving could have been for nothing!
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!! what a treasure and money saver it is to sew!!!!!! it look so great susan!! good on ya!
WOW! I'm REALLY impressed....and inspired! I need to be doing that! YAY for nesting though....It looks great! :)
Post a Comment