Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Teacher's Influence


We received an email from David's mother saying that there was a tribute by the author Orson Scott Card to David's late grandmother in a BYU publication recently. David's Grandma, Ida Huber, taught high school English and was apparently his favorite teacher. You can click on the picture to enlarge and read the article, but in it he talks about what a fun and influencial teacher she was to him and all of her students. She influenced his career and he actually dedicated one of his books to her (I'm trying to find out which one).

This was so amazing for me to hear! I've read several of his books and his imagination is incredible. I was surprised to find out that David's grandmother had such an impact on such a famous author. Dave has very vivid memories of his dear "Nana" and has often told me about the time when she lived with them. Sadly some of those memories involve the disease that eventually took her - Alzheimer's.

Probably the best part for me is that Caroline is named after this woman. Caroline Ida Martin was named so because of Dave's fondness for his Nana. I remember the time when we decided to name her this and I wasn't so sure about the name Ida! Since then it has grown on me and I love her name - her full name. But now, I feel like I know part of who Nana Ida was and I'm glad that we have passed on her name.

6 comments:

Brent & Paij Collins said...

How cool. What a nice thing for him to do and how cool for Dave and his family.

Grandpa M. said...

Ida was such a good English teacher that, when dating Mary, every time I wrote a letter to Mary I could imagine her taking a red pencil and correcting it. I spent a lot of time with each letter and revised it, as if it was a term paper, before mailing it. She was indeed a great lady and influenced everyone that knew her.

Brooke said...

that is so cool. what an amazing woman. It just goes to show what a tremendous legacy a teacher can leave by the impact she has on her students. and now I can say that I am related to someone whose grandmother taught orson scott card. Wahoo! I've read a few of his books too and they're excellent.

Kent Family said...

Thats awesome! What a great thing for Caroline to be able to read about the person she was named after. It makes it just that much more special!

The Sullengers said...

How awesome - he is my favorite author. What a neat thing to experience!

Alayna said...

I love that story!!!! We already knew Caroline was destined for greatness but I suppose this is proof in the pudding!