Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our One Year Old!

Yes, we celebrated Miles' first birthday this week. I still can't believe it. A whole year. He still feels like a new addition to me. He obviously doesn't look like a new baby, but he's still like a fun new toy sometimes! The night before his birthday I had my usual "my baby's growing up" melt-down. I bawled. Every time I think about when he was born and that week he spent in the NICU I get emotional. So this birthday was especially meaningful for me.

Caroline helped him with a few presents in the morning. Little cars and books - we tried to keep it small and simple since we're moving and trying to condense what we already have as it is.



I've seen others do a shirt like this for their one-year-old and think they're so clever and cute. So I made this for Miles with freezer paper and fabric paint. I thought the same principle might work with his cake...
It didn't. But it sure tasted good! We had a few friends over that night to have cake and ice cream. Miles loved all the attention and showed off his new walking skills to everyone.

And the moment we were all waiting for was great - he didn't disappoint at all!
He dove right in! The boy had frosting up his nose!
He was so happy!


So at one year old our boy:
- still takes two great naps. I love this about him. He's such a great sleeper!
- says "DadaDadaDada" and "Nononono" but not much else
-walks pretty well. He can stand up in the middle of the floor and take off. He has the proudest look on his face and keeps his hands over his head the whole time. It's pretty cute.
- can point to his head and belly and gives "high-fives"
- Puts everything in his mouth. Really, Everything. He has 4 teeth and one on the way.
- loves kitties, Elmo, his blankie, and mini marshmallos.
- is friendly and smiles at anyone who gives him any attention.
- Gives awesome open-mouth kisses on cue
- is very ticklish
- is an active, curious little boy. Truly, he doesn't sit still. He's all over the place and into everything.
- whines/cries when anyone leaves the room. You have to sneak out of the room, because if he sees you leaving - even if it's for a second - he'll probably cry.
- loves going for walks in his stroller and watching Baby Einstein in the car.
We love this crazy little guy so much!

7 comments:

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

First birthdays are the best!! I always love eating the cake pictures, his are awesome.

The Sullengers said...

What a cutie! I'm so happy for you guys and all the exciting things coming your way! Please stay in touch!

Brent & Paij Collins said...

What a sweet little guy. I'm so glad we have kids the same age. I feel like I know Miles cause he's going through the same things as Jaycee and it's so fun.

Heather said...

Love that kid! you posted that pic on Facebook earlier in the week and Dave and I both got a kick out of your kid- can't wait to see more of him. Love the UNO shirt too... Adam's was very similar :)

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Miles! that turning one is a big deal - they get so big, so fast and I can relate to the emotions of it all. Love you!

Lant Family said...

Happy Birthday sweet Miles! He is so cute. I can't believe he is already 1 either. I always get that little emotional thing on every birthday! I just love to look back and see the pictures from the hospital and watch the video of them as a newborn. It is crazy to see how fast they grow up. It looks like he sure loved his cake :)

Joy said...

OK, so I am the worst Aunt, I had his birthday down in May... Oops!! He is SO sweet I can't wait to see him in a few weeks. We CAN\'T wait!